Labor economists’ estimate that 60 percent of future jobs will require a high-quality postsecondary credential. In a recent report on postsecondary attainment by the Lumina Foundation, Racine County’s 2015 attainment rate of 35.7 percent lags substantially behind Wisconsin’s attainment rate of 47.2 percent and the national rate of 45.8 percent. The strength of our economy is dependent on ensuring that more talent is available for a wide range of challenging professional careers.
University of Wisconsin-Parkside Provost and Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs Dr. Rob Ducoffe has been appointed by Governor Walker to serve as the state lead for the Complete College America team in Wisconsin. In this role he will work to increase college completion and to close achievement gaps by race, income, age or other fragile populations.
Other members of the Complete College America team in Wisconsin are:
- Implementation lead, two-year sector: Dr. John Thibodeau, Assistant Provost/Vice President Institutional Success, Gateway Technical College;
- Implementation lead, four-year sector: DeAnn Possehl, Executive Director, Persistence and Completion, UW-Parkside;
- Metrics, Evidence, Results lead: David Blough, Senior Policy and Planning Analyst, University of Wisconsin System
- Equity Lead: Danae Davis, Executive Director, Milwaukee Succeeds
- Communication Lead: Jeff Neubauer, Executive Director, Higher Expectations for Racine County
Recently, members of the Wisconsin CCA team attended the 2017 Complete College America Annual convening, Access to their American Dreams, in New Orleans. At the convening, CCA unveiled two new strategies: “Purpose First, an intentional approach to early career exploration and Better Deal for Adults, a redesigned approach to scheduling and credit for competency.”
Rob Ducoffe, CCA team lead, said he was “impressed that the CCA approach to completion is evolving based on lessons learned through Alliance members. The expanded focus really aligns with our own completion work in SE Wisconsin.”
Established in 2009, Complete College America is a national nonprofit organization that works with states to significantly increase the number of Americans with quality career certificates or college degrees and to close attainment gaps for traditionally underrepresented populations. For more information, visit www.completecollege.org