“The trip to UW-Madison and my Freshman Seminar class have really opened my eyes and mind to the many different opportunties for college, and how college can really help you out in the future.”
- Erick, RUSD Freshman Academy Student
(RUSD Academy Coaches with Carolynn Friesch, Higher Expectations Employer Engagement Program Manager)
Higher Expectations is leading business and civic engagement for students for the RUSD Academies of Racine and works closely with RUSD’s Ofce of Secondary Transformation to expand partnership opportunities between employers, educators, and students. These opportunities are part of the career pathways within each career-focused Academy, which were developed based on local employment data and include: Army JROTC, Automotive, Aviation, Biomedical Sciences, Business, Construction, Culinary Arts, Early Childhood & Education, Engineering, Finance, Health Services, Information Technology, Manufacturing, and Marketing.
Currently, employers can support students at the Academies of Racine through the following Opportunities to Engage:
- Providing company tours to classes
- Offering job shadowing to students
- Speaking to students in their classrooms
- Highlighting career opportunities at the SEE Your Future Expo
- Guiding students as Pathway Mentors
- Guiding career programs as a part of the Advisory Council
- Offering externships to teachers
- Providing student internships and/or youth apprenticeships
In the 2016-17 school year, Higher Expectations engaged 91 employers in the Academies of Racine. In the fall, 50 Racine County companies represented career pathways at the SEE Your Future Expo, giving 1,500 freshmen the opportunity to learn about future careers in the community.
Read more about our work in our 2017 Annual Report: Inspiring Action, Making an Impact